Hanoi, October 3, 2023 – With the approval of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, on October 1, 2023, in Hanoi, the Vietnam Association of Financial Investors (VAFI) convened the IV Term Meeting (2023 – 2028).
VAFI is a professional association active in the capital and financial investment market, established since the inception and growth of the Vietnamese financial market (April 2004). Over nearly two decades of operation, the Association has made substantial positive contributions to the robust development of the Vietnamese financial market. VAFI operates with a selective approach, focusing its resources on the most vital issues of the economy and the stock market, placing strong emphasis on crisis mitigation solutions, macroeconomic enhancement, and prudent selection of fundamental measures to foster the development of the Vietnamese stock market.
In the new term’s operational orientation, VAFI is geared towards focusing on the following domains:
1. The most critical issues of the stock market, and macroeconomics (pertaining to the stock market);
2. The primary operational focus is to improve the securities investment environment;
i. Solutions to elevate the Vietnamese stock market, with a concentration on the HOSE exchange;
ii. Solutions for the construction and development of an efficient, transparent corporate bond market, augmenting long-term capital mobilization for the commercial banking system;
iii. Solutions to safeguard investors, particularly individual investors.
iv. Resolving disputes within the capital and financial market through conciliatory and arbitration measures in collaboration with VIAC and other specialized organizations;
3. Active participation in the drafting and amendment processes of significant tax laws affecting stability and development of the capital market.
4. Continued engagement in the development, drafting, and modification of regulations concerning the policy framework and legal aspects related to financial technology, blockchain, data privacy, and cyber security (fintech, blockchain & data privacy & cyber security).
5. Additionally, focused contributions on legal statutes and related matters:
i. Direct/indirect investments;
ii. Specialized business organization & operations, particularly in the M&A (mergers and acquisitions) domain;
iii. Oversight of foreign investments to prevent dominance and ensure economic security and capital market stability.
During this meeting, a substantial force of experts and several individual investors in the fields of business organization, finance, legal matters, and market regulation, and financial investment were introduced as supplements to the Executive Committee.
The meeting proceeded through procedures of dismissal, candidacy, and election of members. Three members of the term III Executive Committee ceased their involvement in the IV term VAFI committee citing personal reasons. The meeting introduced and elected 10 new committee members to the IV term Executive Committee, concurrently electing positions for the Chairman, General Secretary, Deputy Chairpersons, and Audit Committee. The outcomes are as follows:
The current members of the Executive Committee re-elected for the IV term:
1. Mr. Dang Van Thanh – Former Vice Chairman of the Economic and Budgetary Committee of the National Assembly: Chairman of VAFI;
2. Mr. Phung Anh Tuan – General Director of VCI Legal Company: Deputy Chairman – General Secretary of the IV term. Responsible for the investment advisory group & foreign cooperation, digital economy (fintech, blockchain, data privacy & cyber security), protecting investor rights, including dispute resolution; legislative activities & general legal recommendations;
3. Mr. Nguyen Hoang Hai: Deputy Chairman in charge of the Communications group and the Hanoi office;
4. Mr. Dinh Le Chien – Director of Nam Thien Ha Limited Company: Deputy Chairman in charge of the fundraising group;
5. Mr. Johan Nyvene – Chairman of the Board of Directors of HSC Securities Company: Deputy Chairman in charge of the stock market group, advising on mergers and acquisitions.
The new members of the Executive Committee include:
1. Mr. Dang Huy Dong – Former Deputy Minister of Planning and Investment: Deputy Chairman in charge of the Investment Law, privatization, infrastructure development;
2. Mr. Nguyen Dinh Cung – Former Head of the Central Institute for Economic Management: Deputy Chairman in charge of Corporate Law, business environment;
3. Ms. Vu Thu Huong – General Director of E&Y Consulting Vietnam: Deputy Chairman in charge of Policies, Tax Advisory & Training;
4. Mr. Truong Thanh Duc – Lawyer, Director of ANVI Law Company;
5. Mr. Le Xuan Ba – Former Head of the Central Institute for Economic Management;
6. Mr. Nguyen Van Phung – Former Director of the Large Enterprises Tax Department – General Department of Taxation;
7. Ms. Ngo Thanh Hang – General Director of the Market Integration Solutions Company in Asia;
8. Ms. Nguyen Thi Minh – Lawyer – Former Director of the Legal Assistance Department – Ministry of Justice;
9. Mr. Le Khanh Hung – Director of Customs Tax Advisory Company;
10. Mr. Ngo Bao Trung – Banking and Investment Expert.
Leveraging VAFI’s strengths and the participatory capabilities of its members, the Executive Committee has designated tasks to 25 committee members, organized into 7 specialized groups:
With the infusion of high-caliber human resources into the Executive Committee, VAFI members will engage proactively and energetically in providing essential feedback on government policy planning, organizational activities, participation in forums, legislative workshops, and advancing efforts to protect the rights of stock investors, all aimed at enhancing effectiveness and substantiating the association’s endeavors.